Wednesday 9 July 2014

WHAT IS EQUALITY?



WHAT IS EQUALITY?
“Equality” is the most misinterpreted, misquoted and controversial word that has ever existed in human context. What equality meant for me might not be equality for others and thus, it is difficult to come to any one conclusion in human context. Today, at this point of time there are people struggling across the world for equality which is gender based, cultural based and so on. This term reflects a different meaning for every individual existing upon earth. Similarly, what equality for me was a decade back is not anymore an issue for me and the meaning would change again in future also.

Being a woman, I have always supported woman rights. They were always at my top priorities and still they are. But, what I feel is the real meaning of equality has misinterpreted in many ways. Though I am one of those who support feminism strongly, but, I still believe that men and women cannot be compared and bought at an absolutely equal level in many aspects. Few months ago I had read an article which said that, comparing men and women is like comparing fish with a bird. You cannot expect a bird to swim or a fish to fly, but what you can expect is, the “coexistence” of birth the species with equal opportunities to grow and survive. 

My idea of equality is slightly broader and different than most of us. What I believe equality is – having equal rights and duties which constitutions provide us. Being a woman, I must be paid according to my skills and not as per my gender. Similarly, I shouldn’t get any uneven advantage in my professional life, simply because I am a woman. I must be promoted, and appreciated for my work irrespective of the gender that I posses. Equality is when, despite of being a housewife, I have property on my name and I get the respect that I deserve. I should have freedom to protest, express and achieve heights in my life. I shouldn't be compared to my brother, husband or any male. I should be treated like a different individual altogether. Further, what I wear is absolutely my choice and that doesn’t give anyone a right to rape, harass or molest me, but, if I am expecting equality I must also dress up in a dignified manner. My freedom of choice does bring responsibility too. My life must have my rules. 


I Have come across lots of arguments which scream that, if men can bare their chests so can we. I completely disagree with this. Men and women are two different entities. There body structure and psychology differs as well. Being a woman, I cannot, I need not and I should not bare my chest because that is not equality which I am fighting for. My equality would come in having equal space, facilities and respect towards the opposite genders. Just because males are doing this, I don’t need to this. I believe that we are at a much higher level than men, and our fight for equality is not for clothes. No doubts that we all have choices and all these choices are respected, but, baring chest or showcasing private parts because males are doing is something which according to me isn’t dignifying for a woman she is beautiful, when she is dressed in dignity and confidence.”
There are hell lot of issues where we need to fight for equality but, comparing all the time, in all the way with men is in a way degrading ourselves only.

6 comments:

  1. No doubts we r getting our equal rights but what about those who are still suffering???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fight. fight. bra strip and bare body isn't the solution.

      Delete
    2. I can't help but notice that you're associating the exposure of the bra strap with equality or liberalism in a few places.
      The point isn't to let someone show their innerwear. The point here is that no matter what, a girl's attire can never be the reason she ended up being a victim of rape or even eve teasing.
      Be it just a bra strap or bare body as you call it, even so, the girl is never asking for it, and there's no reason for her to not access her rights just because someone doesn't like what she's wearing.

      Delete
    3. No doubts in that. In fact i have particularly mentioned that no matter what i wear, you have no right to rape, harass or molest me. what you said is absolutely correct but, there are people who are associating, baring chest with freedom. they do argue that if males are doing so should we, this was also in the context of an article which was discussed in our class by shamali ma'am.
      i kow a girl is never ever ever asking for it, but i still stick to whatever i have mentioned above in my post. i agree to you as well.

      Delete
  2. ya actually v should get equality...
    well said.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to add one more point what i feel of equality for girls. Taking an example of siblings in family, a son can do whatever he wants, he can stay out for long duration, late night parties and other miscellaneous activities but daughters are usually many times scolded if they come accross in such cases or you can say, parents have a fear factor for their daughter.

    I personally think this should be equal for both

    ReplyDelete